Nothing says year-round holiday fun like baking easy sugar cookies and decorating them with family and friends. Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, even the Fourth of July, this is the best sugar cookie recipe around!
The best cookie recipes are simple, timeless and fun to make! This easy sugar cookie recipe is short on ingredients but long on the dozens of ways they can be shaped, stamped, sliced, or decorated!
Easy Christmas Cookies for Cookie Exchange
These homemade sugar cookies are ideal for bake sales and cookie exchanges, because they’re so easy. Some of my other favorite easy cookie recipes for bake sales are:
- Easy Shortbread Cookies (Cookie Press) – everyone loves these pretty cookies
- Eggnog Cookies – mmm, eggnog!
- Mexican Wedding Cookies – snowball cookies are always a hit
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – chocolate and more chocolate
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies – totally perfect!
- Candy Cane Cookies – adorable and festive!
How to Make Sugar Cookies
Really, really good sugar cookies are ones that are uniformly mixed, shaped and baked. Be sure to have quality baking pans and a properly calibrated oven so the cookies bake evenly.
Sugar cookies are white and look best when they are not brown, burnt or discolored on the edges, so the use of quality bakeware, or using parchment paper is key. Chilling the sugar cookies allows for the butter to firm up a bit which will keep the cookies from spreading too much and looking flat.
Plan to chill the sugar cookie dough in order to produce the best result. You won’t be disappointed because a soft sugar cookie recipe is worth learning to perfect and you’ll use it all year long!
How to Make Icing for Sugar Cookies
These little gems are perfect on their own, but for decorating, the best sugar cookie icing always starts with powdered sugar! Made with milk, and or corn syrup make it easy to tint with food coloring and easy to smooth on!
Sugar cookie frosting is basically the same thing, just thicker and more of a spread than an icing. Either method can be tinted with food coloring.
How to Decorate Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are one of the most popular cookie recipes for decorating. Feel free to have fun with cookie cutters, stamped rolling pins or simply free form them by hand – sugar cookies are the best way to spend a day in the kitchen!
To make Christmas sugar cookies, or any time of year cut out cookies, roll dough out evenly on a lightly floured surface and cut or stamp out desired shapes. Carefully transfer to a greased cookie sheet (or non-greased, but covered in parchment paper), and proceed to embellish with nonpareils, dragees, or colored sugar.
Once cookies are completely cooled, decorate with tinted icing or frosting and embellishments. This is why everyone loves to bake sugar cookies!
Easy Sugar Cookies
Nothing says year-round holiday fun like baking easy sugar cookies and decorating them with family and friends.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in a bowl and mix on medium until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture a little bit at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Cover dough and chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll dough to 1/4″ thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cookies 1″ apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 9-11 minutes.
Original source: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/easy-sugar-cookies/