Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup is easy to make, infused with flavor and just happens to be healthy! This soup reheats beautifully so it makes the perfect lunch throughout the week or ideal make ahead dinner.
We serve this easy cauliflower soup recipe with 30 Minute Dinner Rolls and sometimes add crumbled bacon on top!
Until recently, broccoli has been my floret vegetable of choice from simple Roasted Broccoli, to Broccoli Cheese Soup, to Broccoli Rice Casserole, to Baked Garlic Butter Salmon & Broccoli. It wasn’t until recently that I fell in love with cauliflower – roasted cauliflower, that is. Roasting the cauliflower transforms the plain, rather bland vegetable into a nutty, buttery flavored delight with caramelized edges.
A Versatile Vegetable
That being said, roasted cauliflower still needs some added oomph. It is virtually a blank canvas for whatever flavorings you are in the mood for. I’ve paired our Creamy Cauliflower Soup with salt, pepper, thyme, nutmeg and a pinch of cayenne but feel free to get as creative as you would like!
How Do You Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
First, we toss our cauliflower and 4 whole garlic cloves in olive oil, salt and pepper then roast at 450 degrees F. We peel the garlic cloves but leave them whole so they can cook in the same amount of time as the cauliflower.
The trick to roasting cauliflower is to make sure it is spread out in an even layer (on a greased baking sheet) so the florets roast and don’t steam. The other important key is to wait until the cauliflower turns golden on the edges which usually takes 30-35 minutes. Just think color = flavor.
Once the cauliflower is roasted, I like to reserve 1 cup cauliflower that I chop up to garnish my soup, but that is completely personal preference.
Rich Creamy Flavor
Next, melt some butter in a large soup pan or Dutch oven and sprinkle in flour, then cook for 2 minutes to get rid of the raw flour smell. Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in some chicken broth and seasonings. Add the roasted cauliflower and garlic and simmer for 5 minutes or so until thickened.
Finally, you can either use an immersion blender to creamify the Roasted Cauliflower Soup or puree in your blender, taking care to let steam escape or it will explode (I leave a corner open and cover with a paper towel).
For a thinner soup, stir in additional chicken broth or milk to reach desired consistency.
What Spices Go Well with Roasted Cauliflower Soup?
From here you are probably going to want add seasonings to taste.
I personally like additional salt, pepper and a nice dose of cayenne pepper. And then dig into luscious, healthy, guilt free Roasted Cauliflower Soup!
More Soups You’ll Love
- Italian Wedding Soup – Family favorite
- Potato Leek Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – Quick and easy!
- Lemon Chicken Soup
- Ham and Corn Chowder
- Homemade French Onion Soup – A delicious classic.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup that is easy make, infused with flavor and just happens to be healthy! This soup reheats beautifully so it makes the perfect lunch throughout the week or ideal make ahead dinner.
- 1 large head cauliflower (approx. 6 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower and whole garlic cloves to baking tray. Drizzle evenly with oil, salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated, then spread out into a single layer.
- Roast at 450 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Stir cauliflower once half way through cooking then spread back into an even layer.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in chicken broth, onion powder, thyme, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Add cauliflower and garlic and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Puree with an immersion blender or working in batches, puree in blender, taking care to let smoke escape or it will explode (I leave a corner open and cover with a paper towel).
- Pour creamy blender contents back into pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For a thinner soup, stir in additional chicken broth or milk to reach desired consistency.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole (No condensed soup)
Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken, Cauliflower and Potatoes
Original source: https://www.spendwithpennies.com/roasted-cauliflower-soup/